Complications and Dangers of a Preterm Delivery
Your doctor will try to extend the pregnancy up till the expected date of delivery. However sometimes preterm delivery can happen. In these circumstances the outcome of baby depends upon birth weight and extent of prematurity along with many other factors.
Complications in preterm newborns
- Breathing difficulty due to immature lungs
- Infections due to poor immunity and fragile skin
- Feed intolerance with sometimes gut infection which can be fatal
- Brain damage due to delicate blood vessels or lack of oxygen
- Long term high chance of delay in development with problems in vision and hearing
- Prevention of preterm delivery
- Before birth, mothers are given “steroids” which support growth of baby’s lungs.
- After birth a medicine called “surfactant” is administered into baby’s lungs. This further promotes lung maturity and reduces the severity of breathing difficulty.
- Most babies need breathing support such as ventilator or CPAP
- We start nutrition through drip to promote growth and start mother feed only after baby is stable.
- We monitor for other complications and mange if any occur
- Even after discharge from NICU babies need long term follow up in OPD.
Visit Ratan Hospital for Women and Children for any problems you might be facing with the good health of your child.
Comments ( 22,574 )